You are in for a TREAT today! My sweet friend Amelia from Z Tasty Life is stopping by with her homemade Nutella BACI chocolates! Amelia and I met through our blogs and I feel incredibly lucky to call her my friend. She’s a gifted writer (you’d never know English was her second language), photographer and cook. She’s as gorgeous on the inside as she is on the outside. Matter of fact if she wasn’t so favolosa it’d be really easy to dislike her ; ) Have I mentioned that Baci chocolates are one of my most favorite chocolates on the planet? They are and I couldn’t be happier she made this to share with all of us.
I admire Paula’s energy and her love for Italian food. I follow her blog, Bellalimento, regularly for week-night Italian inspiration, so when she asked me to guest post on her new endeavor, BellaNutella, I said: ma certo, of course!
When I was over in Italy over the holidays I ate way too many chocolate “Baci”. These hazelnut and chocolate “kisses” are packaged individually in a starry silver wrapper and come with a love quote. They are every Italian lovers’ favorite gift but they are wonderful at every occasion.
Since St. Valentine day is approaching I thought of re-creating them at home…with Nutella!… so I could include a personalized love note.
There are only 4 ingredients in this recipe and they are so easy to make even a novice can attempt them, so they can spend most of the time writing the love letter…
Much love, and lots of “baci”,
Homemade Nutella Baci – Makes 20 “Baci” (recipe doubles easily)
What you’ll need:
100 gr. (~1 cup) whole hazelnuts
Half of a 13 oz. (375 gr.) Nutella jar = about 7 oz. (200 gr., about 1 1/2 cup)
1/3 cup (40 gr.) unsweetened cocoa powder
6 oz. (160 gr.) good quality dark chocolate
What to do:
1. Place 20 whole hazelnuts aside.
2. Chop the rest of hazelnuts into “granella” (small pieces) and place in a bowl with the Nutella and cocoa powder. Mix well until incorporate it to form a smooth dough. You can use a blender but I prefer a fork and my hands.
3. Form 20 balls and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place a whole hazelnut in the middle of every ball.
4. Place the sheet in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes (or a few hours in the refrigerator).
5. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave (a minute or two on high, stirring in between)
6. Dip the chilled “baci” into melted chocolate, using two small forks then place them again on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
7. Allow them to dry a few minutes. Wrap as desired and accompany with a love note.
NOTE: I packaged my “baci” in a white window-box and marked them with blue stars. Then I created a small love note and rolled it inside the box. You can be as creative in your writing as you wish!
Thanks again to Amelia for stopping by with these delicious homemade Nutella BACI chocolates!